A webinar was held at the Commission on prevention measures and overpackaging as part of the PPWD review. Background material provided for the webinar can be found HERE. The consultant (Eunomia) is coming with new suggestions which may have a negative impact on all packaging especially secondary or gift packaging.
• New definition of “overpackaging” suggesting to limit the volume or weight of packaging to minimum amount needed to perform “core areas of functionality”.
• Product presentation and marketing to be considered lower categories (vs sustainability) or to be deleted from the core functionalities.
• Elimination of packaging that is unnecessary and serves no core function – focus on sales packaging.
• New definition of “avoidable packaging”– to be phased out if it has no clear core function and where there is a viable un-packed or un-grouped equivalent.
• Creating a negative list of packaging to be phased out.
The positive news is that the consultant is open for feedback and comments can be fed back directly or via Pro Carton and CITPA before 17 February.