What can I enter?
Entries can be submitted in four categories:
- Creative Cartonboard Packaging | Food & Drink: The focus lies on cartonboard as the most sustainable food and beverages packaging material and its recyclability. Give us a taste of great design!
- Creative Cartonboard Packaging | All Other – excluding Food & Drink: This category focussed on using the most sustainable packaging material for non-food packaging. Everything needs packaging, have a look around yourself and get inspired!
- Creative Cartonboard Ideas: Think outside the box! Here is a chance for you to put forward your cartonboard ideas outside of the packaging market.
- Sustainability Award: Show us your ideas as to how cartonboard can reduce or replace plastic and help us save the planet!
In addition to these four category winners, the jury will also choose the winner of the “Newcomer Award“. This award goes to a participant from a school or university that has not won an award in the past. Everyone will have the opportunity to vote for their favourites during the public voting and help determine the “Public Award” winner themselves.
The brief is kept as open as possible to allow for maximum creativity in packaging and cartonboard design.
How to enter – entry procedure:
The initial submission should be made online. Please send us the physical 3D cartonboard design only if your design was shortlisted. You will receive an email invitation. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts. Students that do not make it to the shortlist will not have to send in their physical designs/prototypes/dummies for the jury meeting.
Step 1: Create your design idea Submissions must meet the following criteria:
- three-dimensional and to scale, regardless of their actual size and use
- made mainly of cartonboard (over 200 g/m2)
- folded and possibly glued
- printed if possible (but not essential)
- your own idea and not copied from another source (with or without permission). Entering a concept that is not your own idea will result in disqualification and could infringe copyright law
Entries made from other material than cartonboard (e.g. corrugated board) can NOT be accepted.
Step 2: Online entry – promote your design:
- Take 3-5 photos of your design
- Describe your design concept in max. 100 words
- Please keep in mind that your photos and texts:
- are the basic information for the judging and
- will be used for public voting, social media, etc.
- Optional: you can also add an explanatory video, you can download the logo here if you like!
- Deadline: May 22, 2022. All entries need to be uploaded by this date. Every entrant receives a confirmation email following the upload. Entries should be submitted when they are ready, do NOT wait until the last day. Entries can be submitted now!
The online entries will be judged to create a shortlist of designs that will go forward to the final judging. We will contact all the selected designers via email. Please keep an eye on your inbox for the notification email and add our email address to your contacts! If successful, your immediate action will be necessary.
Step 3: Physical entry of the selected designs:
- If you receive an email confirming that you have been successfully shortlisted then send us your physical 3D prototype together with:
- a copy of the entry form (confirmation email) so we can identify your physical entry
- a description, on one A4 page, which must accompany all 3D samples.
Shortlisted students will be notified shortly after the final online entry deadline via email@example.com.
Entries should be securely packed and sent to:
Pro Carton Young Designers Award
c/o Lejeune Association Management
Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indië 131-G
NL-2593 BM The Hague
Please make sure your physical entries arrive in time. The entry can be returned to the entrant upon special request and at their own cost and risk. Make sure to communicate your request in advance.
Following the jury meeting:
- The selection for the public voting (max. 25 designs) for the Public Award will be published and widely communicated.
Step 4: Public Voting – your second chance – vote and promote
- Share, like, promote your design with your friends, colleagues, family, etc.
- The winner of the Public Award will win an iPad.
How does the public voting work?
Following the jury meeting in June, the selected designs (max. 25) will be presented on a voting page on the Pro Carton website. Furthermore, all selected designs will be promoted on our Social Media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn. Everyone is invited to cast their vote. Any form of manipulation of votes will result in disqualification.
Who can participate?
The competition is aimed at all design students in Europe who are not working as professionals. They must not have completed their studies before the summer of 2022 (proof is to be supplied with the entry, e.g. student enrollment document). An entry gives the organisers the right to showcase the submitted concepts in a public exhibition, including publication, promotion and documentation of the competition.
Individual, as well as group entries of up to five students, are welcome. There is no restriction on the number of entries. If you enter as a group, please be aware that only one person will be invited to the Award Gala and only one person can take part in the practical training days. However, the person representing the group at the Award Gala doesn’t necessarily have to be the same person that takes part in the practical training days. All names will be communicated throughout our promotional activities.
What can I win?
As one of the five main-prize winners you will be traveling to Germany and visit the facilities of WEIG Karton and WEIG Packaging, a leading European cartonboard manufacturer and folding carton producer. You will travel to Mayen/Eifel and experience their top-class facilities for cartonboard production. Especially recycling cartonboard is their passion, producing over half a million tons every year. At their facilities in Nürnberg you will learn all there is to know about realising sustainable packs for big brands on a huge scale and gain priceless insights into their packaging expertise.
A trophy and certificate.
The winner of the Public Award will win an iPad and a certificate.
- International publicity and recognition.
Winners and their teachers will be invited to the Awards Gala in September, subject to COVID 19 pandemic restrictions.
Winners will be announced in September/October on all our media channels.
What does entry cost?
Participation is free of charge. The organisers are not responsible for the submitted materials.
Members of the expert jury, their relatives and the organisers are excluded from participating in the competition. Pro Carton retains the right to use all entries for public relations purposes. However, Pro Carton does not own any rights to the entered designs. The copyrights to the designs remain with the entrant. The entrant is responsible for the copyright of their design. The decision of the jury and the organiser is final. Prizes cannot be exchanged for cash. The organiser will not pass on personal data nor disclose addresses to third parties.