What can I enter?
Entries can be submitted in four categories:
- Creative Cartonboard Packaging Food & Drink: The focus lies on cartonboard as the most sustainable food and beverages packaging material and its recyclability. Give us a taste of great design!
- Creative Cartonboard Packaging All Others – excluding Food & Drink: This category focussed on using the most sustainable packaging material for non-food packaging. Everything needs packaging, have a look around yourself and get inspired!
- Creative Cartonboard Ideas: Think outside the box! Here was a chance for you to put forward your cartonboard ideas outside of the packaging market.
- Save the Planet: Every minute a truck load of plastics is dumped in the ocean. You showed us your ideas as to how cartonboard can reduce or replace plastic and help us save the planet!
In addition to these four category winners, the jury will also choose the winner of the “Newcomer Award“ plus, consumers will have the opportunity to vote and select the winner of the Public Award.
How to enter – entry procedure:
The initial submission should be made online and you will only need to send your physical 3D cartonboard design if it has been confirmed that you have made it onto the shortlist. Students that do not make it to the shortlist will not have to send in their physical designs/prototypes/dummies for the jury meeting.
Step 1: Create your design idea:
- must be three-dimensional, true to scale, regardless of their actual size and use
- must be made mainly of cartonboard (over 200 g/m2)
- be folded and possibly glued
- printed if possible (but not essential)
- must be your original idea and not copied from another source (with or without permission). Entering a concept that is not your own idea will result in disqualification and could infringe copyright law.
Step 2: Online entry – promote your design:
- Take 3-5 photos of your design
- Describe your design concept in max. 100 words
- Please keep in mind that your photos and texts:
- are the basic information for the judging and
- will be used for public voting, social media, etc., if you are a finalist.
- Optional: you can also add an explanatory video, you can download the logo here if you like!
- Deadline: May 21, 2021. All entries need to be uploaded by this date. Every entrant receives a confirmation email following the upload. Entries should be submitted when they are ready, do NOT wait until the last day. Entries can be submitted now!
The online entries will be judged to create a shortlist of designs that will go forward to the final judging. We will contact all the selected designers via email. Please keep an eye on your inbox for the notification email and add our email address to your contacts!
If successful, your immediate action will be necessary:
Step 3: Physical entry of the selected designs:
- If you receive an email confirming that you have been successfully shortlisted then send us your physical 3D prototype together with:
- a copy of the entry form so we can identify your physical entry
- a description, on one A4 page, which must accompany all 3D samples.
Shortlisted students will be notified shortly after the final online entry deadline and entries should be securely packed and sent to:
Pro Carton Young Designers Award
c/o Lejeune Association Management
Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indië 131-G
NL-2593 BM The Hague
- Please make sure your physical entries arrive in time. Entries that arrive later than June 7, unfortunately, cannot be considered for the judging.
The entry can be returned to the entrant upon special request and at their own cost and risk. Make sure to communicate your request in advance.
Following the jury meeting:
- The selection for the public voting (max. 25 designs) for the Public Award will be published and widely communicated
Step 4: Public Voting – your second chance – vote and promote
- Share, like, promote your design with your friends, colleagues, family, etc.
- The winner of the Public Award will win an iPad
The winners and their teachers will be invited to the Award Gala ceremony to be held in September subject to restrictions concerning COVID-19. The announcement of the winners will be published in September/October on all our media channels.
Who can participate?
The competition is aimed at all design students in Europe who are not working as professionals. They must not have completed their studies before the summer of 2021 (proof is to be supplied with the entry, e.g. student enrollment document). An entry gives the organisers the right to showcase the submitted concepts in a public exhibition, including publication, promotion and documentation of the competition.
What can I win?
- For the 5 main winners – the prize for each of the winners is a three to four-day visit to Mayr-Melnhof Karton and practical training at Mayr-Melnhof Packaging International, both in Austria. It will be a unique and memorable experience.
- A trophy and certificate.
- The winner of the Public Award will win an iPad and a certificate.
- International publicity and recognition.
What does entry cost?
Participation is free of charge. The organisers are not responsible for the submitted materials.
Members of the expert jury, their relatives and the organisers are excluded from participating in the competition. Pro Carton retains the right to use all entries for public relations purposes. The decisions of the jury are final.
The organiser’s decision is final. Prizes cannot be exchanged for cash.
The organiser will not pass on personal data nor disclose addresses to third parties.
How does the public voting work?
Following the jury meeting in June, the selected designs (max. 25) will be presented on a voting page on the Pro Carton website. Furthermore, all selected designs will be promoted on our Social Media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn.