Sustainable development means working towards achieving economic, environmental and social goals.
It is now a central part of business strategy for manufacturers and retailers and increasingly relevant to consumers.
Packaging can help manufacturers and retailers meet their corporate sustainability goals.
EUROPEN, the European Organisation for Packaging and the Environment, encourages the development and use of packaging which contributes to the achievement of the European Union’s Sustainable Development Strategy.
Such packaging should:
- Be designed holistically with the product in order to optimise overall environmental performance
- Be made from responsibly sourced materials
- Be designed to be effective and safe throughout its life cycle
- Meet market criteria for performance and cost
- Meet consumer choice and expectations
- Be recovered efficiently after use